Backing up and downloading content

• Is it possible to download everything I have written to some format that I can read offline?
    I am wanting to read and edit my files when I am offline, but I am also concerned about backing up my information just in case. A few years ago blogspot had a "hiccup" that destroyed the blog my wife was making for our children, hours and hours of writing, documentation and photos were lost forever. I can't allow that to happen to the book I am trying to write. is there already some way to do this or is it something that can be added to the program in the future? thanks in advace for your support!

• Plotist Team: Keepers of Code

Hi Dr Professor! Welcome to Plotist!

Things like offline mode or exporting the data are not yet available, but we will be including it in the future. It will take time, though, but we believe they are important features.

In terms of data security, we back up the servers every night and keep the backups for 7 days. So don't worry, your data is safe and we will be able to recover it within a week if anything happens. We are trying to extend this period to 30 days, but there are some issues we have to deal with in order to make it happen.

At any time you might request to get a copy of all your data, it's yours and we are only keeping it for your use, we don't claim any ownership on it and we respect your privacy. At the moment, the process may take a few days and there might be some processing charges (depending on volume and frequency), but we are hoping to make it quick, easy and free. As I said at the beginning we want to offer offline mode and exporting data.

We are always around, so if you have any questions feel free to ask. Or if prefer we can talk privately at

All that said, hope you are enjoying Plotist and the community!

By the way, did you manage to save anything from the blog? It must have been terrible!

• @jaycano
    Thank you for the quick response to my post! I am excited to see where this project takes us and I am glad to be a part of the community. I will look forward to the data download feature, but I feel safer now about starting my novel here on this site.
    Unfortunately we were able to salvage very little from the blog. But that was a long time ago.
    I must say that I love this website so far! I have been trying to keep track of my ideas using Word and Excel, but it is just so messy! I love being able to quickly find and organize my ideas in a visual way. I also love that you have elements divided up into characters, events, and locations! That was pure genius! I haven't figured out how to actually place those elements on the timeline yet, they only seem to stick to the far left panel... but it may be my browser causing the problem, or my laptop's weird aspect ratio...

@Dr-Professor Glad you like Plotist! We always get happy here when someone tells us they are enjoying what we are doing :)

We will soon be releasing a tutorial for the timeline, but what you describe sounds strange. When the timeline is empty you can only add things on the left, that's the key for the timeline track. Once you have a key on the left side you should be able to drop any element, except events, to the right of it to create blocks, and then drop events on those blocks.

What browser are you using? And are you using Mac, Windows, Linux or something else? We test as much as we can but we might have missed a case there.

• @jaycano
    I am using Windows 7 on a toshiba satelite a505 which is a widescreen laptop, this widescreen resolution causes a lot of compatibility issues for me with other sites. I am using chrome for my browser and I use 3 different adblock programs. so I need to mess around with my adblock/pop-up settings further before I can say for sure if the timeline will work for me or not. I have been so busy creating elements that I haven't really messed around with the timeline feature yet. I will make a post later if I can't figure the timeline out, but thank you for your support! I am noticing right now that the bottom half of my message box is cut off, and that is again probably because of my resolution. I can't see what I am typing right now... so I hope I don't mistype something.

@Dr-Professor Let me know how it goes, Chrome on Windows 7 should not be a problem.

I also have the same issue with these forums when I'm using a widescreen resolution. On the left side, above the text boxes, on top of the title saying "Replying to...", you have a button with some arrows you can use to expand and collapse the writing area. I took me a bit to find it ;)

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.