There is a gap.

• Plotist Team: Keepers of Code

Description: The other day I had a nightmare and when I woke up I had the first paragraph of this story stuck in my head. I had to do something with it, so I decided to write a short creepy story. Enjoy!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it is loosely based on the Japanese urban myth 'The girl in the gap'. Also, I just noticed that this is the first time I shared online something I wrote :)

There is a gap between the bedside table and the wall. A gap between the door and the frame. A little gap between the loops of the radiator, a bigger one between bed and the floor. There is a gap between night and day, and a gap between dream and wakefulness. And in every gap, she is waiting. Patiently.

Alone, in the dark, in the middle of the night, you might feel her stare from behind the wardrobe or under the sofa. You are too old to believe in these things, so with certain uneasiness you turn around and go back to sleep. She still waits. Eagerly.

Her hair is made of shadows, sometimes light and translucent, sometimes thick and impenetrable. Her skin looks gray, faded. Her eyes, pure darkness. And she waits. Ardently.

She waits for someone to look at her, to lock their eyes with her and feel some warmth. Warmth… It’s so cold here. It’s been so long since she felt some warmth. She misses being touched, feeling… something, anything. It’s so cold in the gap. So she waits. Longingly.

When you walk into a room and catch, with the corner of your eye, something moving on that little gap between the chest of drawers and the wall, don’t look at her. Don’t stare into the depths of her eyes. The first time, you will only feel some shivers down your spine and the feeling that you’ve forgotten something. The second time, she will own your dreams.

You will wake up several times during the night, unsettled, disoriented. Fear will take over, but you will not know what to fear. In the darkness of your room, your senses will be heightened and you will be able to hear her. Scratching the walls of the wardrobe. Quick little steps behind the headboard. A soft sound, similar to a human voice, whispering something unintelligible but definitely sad. And you will crave some warmth. Warmth… It’s so cold here.

The third time, you will not suffer after the third one. You will not feel anything, except the cold. The cold she feels. The cold I feel. And I will be sitting here, next to you, finally feeling some warmth. And you will understand what it means to live in the gap between all things.

• Okay, this freaked me out so much.

I have this thing where I can't have any gaps open in closet doors, drawers, things like that. If I wake up in the middle of the night and my closet door is not fully closed for some reason I have to get up, turn on the light, look inside, and close it.

And now I'm very aware of the empty space under my bed too. Yup. Goodbye, sleep.

I like stories like this a lot. I feel that when a story just plants a seed of paranoia in your mind instead of directly trying to instill horror in you, it's so much more effective.

• @Blackbird I always have to close my closet doors. I don't know, there's something about waking up and them being open that bothers me. I also have a thing about my feet being uncovered, no matter how hot I am :|

So... has anyone else ever woken up, and the rooms dark, but there's a shape that looks like a face? Is this where she hides?

I agree with @Blackbird. It instills a seed of paranoia and now I'm going to be thinking about gaps all day >.<

• @typical_demigod said in There is a gap.:

So... has anyone else ever woken up, and the rooms dark, but there's a shape that looks like a face? Is this where she hides?

Yup. No sleep tonight.

And I never had that happen, but sometimes when I come back from the bathroom in the middle of the night, I leave a gap in my bedroom door (and I turn the TV on before getting out of bed for anything otherwise I trip on all the things), and when I stand in the hall and look at my door the light coming from that gap on the door always gives me the impression there's someone standing just outside my door. I'm not sure how it happens, but... I tell myself it's the light from the TV that does it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Plotist Team: Timeline Master

Yup. I'm TERRIBLE with the dark in the middle of the night. YES to middle of the night face shapes, but also I've definitely been spooked multiple times by things that look like a crouching person at first glance to sleepy eyes... you know like when you have maybe piled up multiple clothes on a chair the night before, and it might look like a person? Or a pile of clothes on the floor that suddenly looks like a person lying on the floor?

I need to start putting my clothes away before bed... @_@

My least favourite hole is the spider hole. Every house has atleast one. Often it's the gap between the bed and the bedside table.

I used to be really scared of the dark when growing up. I remember my closet being a great source of nightmares, waking up in the middle of the night to see it open, when I could swear I closed it before going to sleep, and being petrified not daring to move.

Hope you could sleep well ;)

• Plotist Team: Community Storyteller

I am so proud of you @jaycano for sharing this. It's a great piece of short horror, and well... its evocative! :D

I do hope you find this as inspiration to share more! :D

Normally I would be with @Sian @Blackbird and @typical_demigod on being scared of the dark, but over the years, my idea of Darkness has modified and now I find comfort in the discomfort! ;)

So, I found this:

It totally reminded me of this short story. Take your time as you scroll through it. Almost every image is a looping one. The artist's site can be found here:

@typical_demigod Hehe. :) Yeeeah, that happened to me as well.

@Josey I love that art! The drawing style is pretty cool on its own, but the animation gives them a really amazing touch. And the writing really captures something there, brief but creepy

@jaycano I think that as humans, there is something about that fine tremor, or light chill that can be found in things that are disturbing. :) Probably why the horror genre is soooo popular

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.