Instructions?

• Is there any documentation on how to use Plotist? I can only find a single 6-minute tutorial, and it seems to involve a completely different interface to the one I'm presented with.

At the moment I'm stumbling my way through this platform without knowing where I'm going or what I'm doing. I have a timeline established - an overall one - but that's about it. I want to add dates and years to the X-axis (at the top). Then I want to add characters in on the left, and mark various events under the dates and years. How do I do this?

• Plotist Team: Keepers of Code

Hi @tommuseth! Welcome to Plotist!

The version your are seeing has been just recently released (2 weeks ago) and we are still working on the documentation. We are working on a new video series explaining the new interface and how to use the timeline, and it will be released part at the end of this week and part next week. I'll keep you updated

At the moment, we don't have support for annotating the marks at the top but we will be including this feature in the near future. What we are recommending to do, for now, is creating a new track for the dates. Something like this:

https://www.plotist.com/profiles/jaycano/worlds/jaycano-example-of-dates-on-the-timeline/timelines/57e97dbb29a18d0003f39777

The element on the left can be anything, and the blocks on the right each represent a time/date or even chapters, if you prefer organizing the events in chapters.

Hope this helps!

• @jaycano Thanks Jay. I like the drag and drop interface, but I'm finding everything a bit overcomplicated just to create a timeline. I've replicated your idea but it's not quite working for me. I have a lot of exact dates over many years and this is going to necessitate creating days, months and years as separate objects and then putting events within those objects - and I can't seem to get events to line up in a chronological way that gives me information at a glance.

I might wait until you've implemented the timeline at the top and see how I go with that. Any ETA on when that might be available?

• @tommuseth You might try it like I did - make a separate timeline for each year (unless there's not a lot going on from year to year and it would be easier to make it all on the same timeline) and then have the exact dates and then the actual events (which was easier for me than making a separate bar with the dates, then adding the locations, because I'm never 100% on where something is going to take place).

My main timeline

@tommuseth The ETA for the feature is unclear at the moment, but it should become available in the next couple of months. We are currently working on some really cool new features and being a small team it takes some time to get everything ready.

The solution proposed by @typical_demigod is a good one, but if you want to have a whole overview of everything in one view, you could make the blocks be your months or years, as on the example I shared, and then drag events into them to mark specific dates.

Be sure that we will deliver this feature as soon as we can :)

• OK, I've come back to Plotist after a few lazy months off over summer and think I've come up with a solution. The only cost I can see is it's going to be one hell of a timeline. I'm a top timeline with each year as an object, and when the story proper starts, each year will get 12 increments along the top bar, so it's going to stretch.

Is it possible in any way to "freeze" the top row, like you would in Excel? That way I can keep the timeline object static while I scroll down through my characters - the dates and events would be easier to see at a glance.

Hey @tommuseth!

That's actually a really cool idea! Pinning tracks on top could actually help not only with dates but also to keep some important character in sight while reviewing other tracks. We'll write it down and see if we can develop it soon.

About your specific issue, we are still working on adding annotations on the top ruler/timescale so you can use that to add dates and global events. It should be available in the coming months, so keep an eye out!

Thanks for the feedback!

Looks like your connection to Plotist's Awesome Writers was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.